Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

123 N. Hill St
South Bend, IN 46617

574-287-6724

Board Minutes

Board Meeting Minutes are posted to this page roughly a month after each board meeting, because A) the minutes must be prepared by the secretary; and B) the board must approve the minutes at the next board meeting, possibly with corrections.  The minutes are posted after that.

Board meeting minutes
May 2018

Frederic Myers

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

May 22, 2018

Attending: Molly Moon, Nick Licina, Danielle Meersman, Charlene Rountree, Myles Robertson, Fred Myers, Mike Geglio;

Absent: Chris Hebron, Sarai Godwaldt, Judy Shroyer

Time

Topic

6:30

Member Owner input

  • No visitors

6:31

Minutes of last board meeting reviewed and accepted

6:34

Email etiquette (Danielle)

  • At times there are so many emails addressed to the board group that it can be difficult to read them all, to isolate important messages and to respond to them.

  • Sometimes emails to the group are simply acknowledgements that could be better addressed to an individual, or maybe not sent at all

  • Suggestion that we stick to constructive comments or responses that move an effort forward

  • Do not reply to ALL if the intent is to message an individual

6:44

Board policy on sharing financial documents (Mike)

  • A member-owner requested the current fiscal year budget from the GM. He asked the Finance Committee for the board policy on sharing documents, and Mike referred the question to the full board

  • This issue has been discussed in the past, and run by the CDS consultant. The consensus was that financial documents would not be published publicly but would be provided to member-owners on request.

  • Concerns expressed that this may not have been formally voted on. Concerns about sharing information that could be helpful to competitors or otherwise harmful to PPC. Concerns about sharing information that requires legal protection, like HR data. Concerns that member-owners have rights to some operational information.

  • Motion made to support the policy to share financial documents, excluding legally protected information, with member-owners upon request, with the understanding of the member-owner that this information is not to be distributed further; approved

  • Action item: Mike to email the FY18 Budget provided by the GM to the member-owner

6:50

Grant Committee Charter

  • Grant writing is typically an operational task, not a board duty. The intent for this committee is to collaborate with the GM to ensure that only grants directly aligned with GM goals are submitted.

  • A charter will be developed for the committee. Action item: Nick to arrange for completion of the charter.

  • Initially 4 people will be in the committee; more information will be shared after the charter is developed.

6:55

Retreat Committee

  • Molly and Charlene will work on planning the board retreat

  • Board members need to respond to the Doodle poll on proposed weekends that will work by the end of this week

  • Maple City Market board members are also responding to the Doodle poll

6:58

Habitat for Humanity project

  • Nick was to talk to Habitat to confirm the Sep 22 date, but didn’t get to it yet. Action item: Nick to get confirmation by next Board meeting

  • Habitat enlists crews of 8 to 10 people, and will take 2 crews from an organization

  • Myles will make a recruitment announcement to member-owners in August, if the Sep 22 date has been confirmed

6:59

Policy C5 - board officers’ code of conduct

  • Conflict of Interest forms were signed by all members of the new board last meeting. The forms were scanned and stored in the Google drive at

             Board > Secretary Documents > COI > 2018

  • Action item: Mike to deliver hard copy COI forms to GM for storage

  • C5 sub-policies reviewed

Policy C6 - officers’ roles

  • Review of the responsibilities of each board officer

  • Discussion about the limits of board member individuals to influence GM decisions on issues that person feels is important

  • Board members are clearly enthusiastic about the co-op to give their time and energy

  • GM is open to fact based observations, and may choose to act on them. Suggestions can come from any member-owner, and the GM will not give preferential treatment to suggestions from member-owners who are board members

7:19

GM Reports: B3 - Asset Protection and B8 - Board Logistical Support

  • B3: in compliance

    • New electronic lock on back door

    • Each employee has a unique code, which can be disabled

    • Temporary codes can be provided

    • Lock is battery powered

    • Store managers have physical keys for the lock

    • Decision Tree applied, and B3 report is accepted by the board

  • B8: in compliance

    • Report due next meeting, but submitted now as GM will be on vacation

    • Google drive use falls in this policy

    • Decision Tree applied, and B8 report is accepted by the board

FY18 GM Eval for has been updated regarding these reports. Action item: if board members have comments regarding GM reports, please send them to Mike for inclusion in this document.

7:31

Email / Google docs / google groups

  • GM shows how to set up a Google doc so it can be reviewed and commented on, but not changed;

  • Very positive responses from board members

  • Provides a 17 minute video on Google drive features

7:40

Review tasks:

  • Need to ensure that goals in GM monitoring report goals are SMART goals. It would help to review goals if the monitoring reports were stored on the Google drive for possible later review. Action item: Mike to request that Myles copy this fiscal year’s monitoring reports to the Google drive.

7:45

Meeting adjourns