Board of Directors
The Board Directors
The Board of Directors meets every FOURTH TUESDAY. Meetings start at 6:00, usually last 2 hours - and are open to all Member-Owners.
The first 10-15 minutes are always reserved for Member-owners to participate. As a Member-owner - you are welcome. Do you have questions for the Board? Ideas on how to make the Co-op better? This is your time.
Location: the lower level of EmNet - just down the street from the Co-op in the Emporium building. Go in the front door and down the stairs on the left. There is another way to get in - with only a few exterior stairs - in the back.
Purple Porch Co-op’s Board of Directors conducts its business using the Policy Governance model, as do the boards of many cooperatives throughout the country.
The Co-op Board of Directors and their email address:
President: Nick Licina (2016-2018) email@example.com
Vice President: Molly B. Moon (2015-2020)
Treasurer: Danielle Meersman (2015-2020)
Secretary: Mike Geglio (2015-2020)
Chris Hebron (2009-2019)
Fred Meyers (2016-2018)
Eddie Forero (2017-2020)
Eligibility, Expectations, and Qualifications of Board Membership include:
- Must be an Owner / Member of PPC in good standing
- Must be 18 years old or older
- Must state all potential conflicts of interest on application and must not have an overriding conflict of interest
- A three-year commitment to serving on the Board
- Familiarity with and adherence to the Co-op’s Bylaws and Policy Governance
- Preparation for, and active participation at, monthly Board Meetings & any ad hoc / emergency meetings.
- Attendance at Board training sessions, the annual retreat, and the annual Owner meeting
- Ability to understand financial statements provided by the General Manager (training provided!)
- Access to the Internet and availability to respond to frequent Board work-related online communications including Email, access to Google Docs (where Board documentation resides) & phone.
- A willingness to take responsibility for Board duties and to work together with understanding, mutual support and respect
- An ability to keep information and materials confidential
- Integrity, flexibility, and common sense
Role and Responsibilities of the Purple Porch Co-op Board of Directors:
- Legal representative of the Owner / Members and is responsible for the overall well-being of Purple Porch Co-op.
- Create and sustain a meaningful relationship with Owners
- Hire, compensate, delegate responsibility to, and hold accountable a General Manager
- Have expectations in the form of written governing policies that realistically address the broadest levels of all organizational decision and situations.
- Assign responsibility in a way that honors our commitment to empowerment and clear distinction of roles
- Regularly assess operational performance by monitoring our written governing policies
- Perpetuate the board’s leadership capacity using ongoing education, training, and recruitment
- Ensure that the cooperative remains financially secure and that owners receive a reasonable value on their equity in accordance with cooperative principles
- All Directors commit to a Code of Conduct and must sign a Conflict of Interest form.
The board is not involved with the daily operations of the store.
The Board Directors have a duty to represent the Owners at large and not a particular constituency, and to act in the Owners’ best interests.