Become a Co-op Owner
Everyone is Welcome at Purple Porch Co-op
Everyone can shop at the Co-op regardless of membership.
Co-ops rely on Member-Owners
Become a Member-owner: Ownership Agreement PDF
Since 2009, we have been connecting the Michiana community to local growers, suppliers, farmers and those who produce with health, sustainability, ethics and community in mind. We believe that having open access to the providers of real food and goods makes a real difference in our lives, our neighborhoods and our planet.
The Co-op is a community-owned business. Member-owners support it financially in order to
- support the local economy, help preserve family farms, and help keep small farmers and producers in business by sourcing locally
- provide a healthy food option in Downtown South Bend
- use environmentally sound practices including recycling and reduced packaging and energy
- provide a community gathering place
- have direct relationships with and buy from Fair Trade producers
- provide satisfying jobs with good pay
BENEFITS TO YOU
- Patronage Refund - When the Co-op makes a profit (which is directly related to customers' patronage) - we may distribute a portion of that profit to the Member-owners. The size of your refund is based on your patronage of the business (i.e., the more you purchase through the year, the bigger your refund).
- Monthly Member-Owner Discount - 10% off entire store purchase - once per month - You decide when
- Product Specials with reduced prices for Member-Owners including an everyday discount on Salad Bar.
- Discounted Food Credit - available for purchase every First Thursday of the month - buy at 5% discount - applied to your store account - no limitations of use.
- Case Discounts - order a case of one product and receive a 20% discount on that case anytime (some exclusions).
- A Vote - Cooperatives are democratic organizations. You have a say in the business - as much or as little as you like.
- Part of a downtown business that values: Sustainability, Local Food, Transparency and Community
Your main responsibility is to help grow the Co-op. This is actually easy and fun: the best way to support our business is by shopping at the Co-op! Also, you can help make the Co-op an even better place to shop by letting us know what you’d like to see in the store. We have established standards that help guide our product selection, but we’re always looking for more ways to help make Purple Porch your grocery!
Don't forget, Co-ops love to be in a position to refund its Member-owners' patronage dividend. It is an indication that the Co-op is successful and profitable. We can only do that if our Member-owners make commit a greater percentage off their food dollars to buying food at the Co-op.
Member-ownership is a one-time investment of $200 ($100, for those that self-identify as low income). Payment Plans are available.
This equity is refundable when the requested AND the Co-op is in a position to return it. All young co-op businesses go through a period of growth that is required in order to get to that financial position when it is able to refund equity. At this time, our Board of Directors has determined that our co-op needs the equity in order to be successful.
HOW DO I BECOME A MEMBER-OWNER?
Once you have decided to become an owner, all you need to do is:
- Download, print, fill out and return the Ownership Agreement PDF
- Choose the payment plan that works best for you (the full $200 amount is best for the Co-op, but you're welcome to do at least $25 per month for 8 months).
- Make your first payment! As long as you are up-to-date in your payments, you receive all of the benefits of being an owner. You can mail a check or stop by the Co-op.